For the full recipe of Mint Stratticella Gelato, here's what you need:
3 cups Milk
3 cups Heavy Cream
1 ¼ cups Sugar
6 egg yolks
1 tsp peppermint extract *or* 2 cups packed fresh mint leaves
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp vanilla extract (for the alcohol, keeps it softer and scoopable)
1 cup Ghirardelli’s 60% cacao chocolate, chopped
Here's what you do:
Using Mint Leaves:
1) Mix milk, cream, sugar, and salt in a saucepan and heat till almost boiling.
2) Add mint leaves, cover and let stand for one hour.
3) Strain out mint, squeezing to extract as much flavor and color; add egg yolks, mix, and cook over medium heat until mixture coats back of spoon. Proceed to step 4.
Using Peppermint Extract:
1) Mix milk, cream, sugar, salt, peppermint extract, and egg yolks in a saucepan and cook until mixture coats back of spoon. Proceed to step 4.
4) Strain mixture, and chill in ice cream canister.
5) Add vanilla; make into ice cream according to manufacturer’s directions.
6) Melt chocolate over a double boiler. Drizzle a bit in a checkerboard-ish patter in the bottom of your freezer-safe container. Put a 1” layer of ice cream in, drizzle more chocolate over it in the same fashion. Keep repeating this process as quickly as possible until you are out of ice cream. Then take a knife long enough to go to the bottom of the container and drag it through the entire thing a couple of times. This serves the tear apart the chocolate strands and give straticella it’s texture!
7) Put ice cream into the freezer for a few hours to ripen.
8) Stuff face. Or share some.